Give your studio a new heart
Matrix2 is the ideal console/controller for your hybrid production studio. It is the most elegant solution available today for those who wish to incorporate the sonic advantages of SSL summing and a collection of boutique analogue mic pre's & processors into their DAW centred studio workflow. The analogue side of Matrix2 combines: a 40 input SuperAnalogue™ summing mixer, fully featured Monitor Switching & Talkback and an in-built 'Insert Router' which enables individual or chains of analogue outboard processors to be inserted quickly and easily. The 16 + 1 fader hardware control surface swaps with a single button push from control over the analogue console signal path to functioning as a comprehensive multi-layer DAW control surface.
Designed to be at the heart of your everyday creative process, Matrix is built to meticulous SSL hardware standards, to withstand even the most intensive studio use. Fully equipped to partner your monitors, workstations and outboard gear, Matrix lets you shape your project studio around the way you work.
- NEW! δelta control automates your console within your DAW like a plug-in
- 40 input SuperAnalogue™ summing console:
- 16 analogue line channels with two inputs per channel
- 32 x 16 x 16 'Insert Router' for up to 16 external hardware processing devices
- Hardware processors can be inserted via console controls or cross platform drag and drop software browser
- Hardware processors can be inserted individually or as 'chains'
- Stereo Aux Send and 4 x Mono Sends per channel
- 4 Stereo Returns with full stereo mix bus routing
- Dual Stereo Mix Busses with summing Inserts and reassign
- Artist Monitor output with independent EQ and monitor source selection
- 'In Line' DAW monitoring with 'SuperCue' headphone mode
- Stereo or 5.1 External Monitor inputs
- Stereo or 5.1 EXT monitoring outputs with independent Main and Mini monitor control
- 5.1 Monitor card available as an upgrade for Matrix V1 owners: here.
- Stereo digital I/O (S/PDIF, AES/EBU) with SSL converter technology
- iJack front panel Monitor input
- Heavy duty external PSU
- Ergonomically advanced hybrid hardware control surface:
- Single button push flips control between the analogue signal path and DAW software
- Multi-layer control of up to four DAW's simultaneously
- Digital scribble strips for constant visual feedback
- 16 channel strips each with motorised fader and assignable rotary encoder
- Additional motorised 'Focus' fader for simultaneous DAW/Console control
- Fader-linking for analogue channels
- Programmable hardware buttons for sending of standard USB keyboard commands
- Total Recall for analogue console controls
- General purpose MIDI controller mode
- A-FADA or MIDI Fader automation
- Ethernet MIDI connectivity
- Cross platform 'Logictivity' remote browser interface:
- Intuitive cross platform remote browser for system configuration and project management
- Simple drag and drop insert router page for configuring hardware device chains and loading inserts
Integrate your analogue outboard
Imagine being able to access your favourite combinations of analogue outboard equipment and apply them to your project without ever leaving the console. The Matrix2 Insert Router is like having a supremely versatile and controllable patch bay built into the console. You physically connect up to 16 hardware devices to the 16 insert points on the console (using rear panel standard D-Sub connections) but unlike a traditional console you are able to select which of these devices are applied to which console channels 'on the fly'. The system even lets you build 'chains' of processors so that you can immediately recall and insert a favourite combination of mic pre, EQ and Dynamics... or instantly swap individual processors within the chain... or instantly change the process order of the chain...without leaving the console. With Matrix2 Devices and chains can either be created and inserted using hardware buttons on the console surface or a simple drag and drop software interface running on a computer. Matrix2 is the closest thing you will find to using hardware devices like software plug-ins within you DAW. The workflow of the Insert Router may feel like software but the signal path is 100% SSL SuperAnalogue™ hardware.
- Integrated 32x16x16 Insert Router routing - Say goodbye to complicated external patch bays
- Analogue plug-ins - Insert your analogue outboard gear at the click of a mouse or at the push of a button.
- Save FX chains and set-ups - Fast configuration and recall of your outboard chains
The unique new SSL console automation system unites the very best of automation in the analogue console domain with DAW based workflow.
The δ-Ctrl Single Fader Plug-in is a native AAX/AU/VST/VST3 plug-in that allows automation of Matrix channel volume as if it were a DAW plug-in. Inserting 16 instances into the DAW session will allow control of volumes and cuts for all 16 Matrix channels. The automation system in the DAW is used to record and playback Matrix volume control data entered either directly from the console faders or from the fader in the plug-in GUI. The δ-Ctrl plug-in is inserted into a DAW mixer audio or aux channel. The plug-in then receives and sends volume data from Matrix via a high speed ethernet network connection. Audio on the DAW track passes through the plug-in slot unprocessed so the plug-in can be combined with other DAW plug-ins. Matrix’ Volume and Mute switch are represented as plug-in parameters in the δ-Ctrl plug-in GUI and their automation data is recorded to the automation lane of the selected DAW channel. In playback, the plug-in converts the stored automation data from the DAW into δ-Ctrl messages and routes these back to Matrix via the network connection.
16-Fader Matrix Plug-In
The 16-fader Delta Control Matrix plug-in provides compatibility to Logic users, as well as offering an alternative workflow to the Single Fader plug-in users. The plug-in is available in all formats including AAX/AU/VST3/VST. The 16-fader plug-in allows users to write automation for Matrix’ 16 channel faders, mutes, and FX sends from one plug-in window, solving Logic’s inherent limitation of only being able to write data to one plug-in at a time.
Control your DAW
At the heart of your studio, Matrix2 reaches out to give comprehensive control over your DAW environment, reinstating the console to its role as creative hub.
With HUI or MCU modes, the 16 motorised faders and channel controls provide complete hands-on control over your DAW mixer, allowing you to enjoy mixing on a tactile, fully-featured control surface. Additionally, Matrix2 gives you access to transport & navigation functions, plug-in & virtual instrument parameters, and essential DAW commands, allowing you to work quickly and easily using just the console surface.
For crucial track adjustment, our unique 'Focus Fader' mode enables the Master Fader (and accompanying V-Pot) to control any channel within your DAW environment that is not part of the currently selected DAW layer, perfect for time saving in mixdown.
- 16+1 fader controller & channel controls - Console control over DAW fader, pan and send levels
- Ethernet DAW connection - Avoids multiple cables and additional interface boxes
- Plug-in & virtual instrument control - Map plug-in parameters to faders, V-pots etc. via MIDI
- Work freely in Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase/Nuendo, Live or Studio One - your choice.
- Programmable soft-keys for DAW shortcuts - Rapid access to essential DAW commands (up to 350 per DAW layer)
- Full DAW transport control - Punch-friendly controls and navigation wheel
Mixing and Monitoring
Alongside its integration of your analogue and digital equipment, Matrix2 is a first-class SSL mixer drawing on our 30 years of analogue console design. The essential functions of recording and mixing; routing, level measurement and monitoring are organised and arranged to make everything available at your fingertips to streamline the entire recording and mixing process.
Matrix2 analogue architecture provides 32 channel inputs (each of the 16 channel strips has main and alt inputs). Each of the 16 channels has a direct output designed to be used primarily as a DAW record output. There are two Stereo Mix Busses and four Stereo Aux Returns with full stereo mix bus routing bring the total available inputs to mix to 40.
Powerful monitoring is a central feature of Matrix with independent Main and Mini monitor outputs, Artist Monitor output with independent EQ & source selection and three External Monitor inputs with source summing.
- 16 SuperAnalogue™ channels - Each with two inputs per channel, a dedicated Channel Output, Stereo Aux Send and four mono Aux Sends
- DAW automation control of Matrix - Motorised fader automation from your DAW via MIDI
- Dual Stereo Mix Busses - With summing inserts and reassign
- 4 Stereo Returns - With full stereo mix bus routing
- DAW Monitor mode - Allows 'zero-latency' monitoring/recording
- Stereo or 5.1. monitoring - With Main and Mini Outputs
- Artist Monitor section - With independent EQ
- 3 External Monitor inputs - With source summing
- iJack monitor input - 3.5mm stereo front panel monitor input